RAM

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

RAM

Post by HunterKayy on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:09 pm
([msg=86218]see RAM[/msg])

I'm man enough to admit that I am still a total n00b. So if this is a stupid question please forgive me;) When referring to Ram, I realize that it can come in different speeds. So just to be perfectly clear, will a higher MHz always be faster and out perform a lower MHz? So 1333MHz would be slower than 1600MHz and 1600MHz would be slower than 2400MHz? And so on and so forth? I'm pretty sure I answered my own question.... just would like someone to confirm my answer. Thanx in advance.
HunterKayy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: RAM

Post by centip3de on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:15 pm
([msg=86220]see Re: RAM[/msg])

HunterKayy wrote:I'm man enough to admit that I am still a total n00b. So if this is a stupid question please forgive me;) When referring to Ram, I realize that it can come in different speeds. So just to be perfectly clear, will a higher MHz always be faster and out perform a lower MHz? So 1333MHz would be slower than 1600MHz and 1600MHz would be slower than 2400MHz? And so on and so forth? I'm pretty sure I answered my own question.... just would like someone to confirm my answer. Thanx in advance.

Not, not necessarily. Memory speeds have a lot more to depend on than just raw MHz, much like a CPU speed has much more to depend on than just raw cores or GHz. I found an article that explains it better than I can, here
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by company on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
([msg=91377]see Re: RAM[/msg])

RAM speeds are a funny thing. For desktop usage I usually recommend 1600. To really compare RAM "speed" you need to also consider CAS latency. For most desktops users will choose 1600. If you are adding RAM to your system make sure you match the speed of RAM already installed!
company
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 am
([msg=91387]see Re: RAM[/msg])

RAM speeds are reliant on the Address Bus speed of your motherboard. Which is directly connected to the CPU too. The RAM will operate at the speed of the motherboard. Have a MOBO that runs at 1066Mhz and you buy 1333MHZ RAM its going to run at 1066Mhz.

Typically when building a system you just make sure that all CP, MOBO and RAM are directly compatible with each other. There's finer details to consider like cache sizes, Latency speeds etc, but the basics are keeping them compatible. There are physical attributes that prohibit you getting it wrong (PINS on a CPU and notches on the RAM), but most MOBO manufacturers have it written in to the specs so you don't get it wrong.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware