a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?

Post by 72 65 74 72 6f on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 am
([msg=93862]see a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?[/msg])

Since I was young I always learned things at best when I teached myself.Wasn't really good at school, but starting reading Nietzsche at a young age and people started to freak out. I always was curious about things. Especially tech. And it's still
this way today.

Which literally means when I think about selling my PS3, I instantly start thinking about taking it apart. Just to see what's inside of it. Yeah I know...nothing special occasionally. Just some circuit board and stuff but still....I could make a little money of of it, but my curiosity is probably going to kill my quest of getting "rich".

A lot of newbies ask questions like "..should I learn a programming language to be become a hacker ?". Well, if you want to be a badass pentester -yes ! No doubt ! But I don't think you have to code your own rootkits and malware. But you should at least understand the fundamentals of programming languages like python, perl, C and js. Yup, here is the moment where you can strive me with vengeance upon leaving out other import languages:-) Basically what I'm sayin' is, don't be a skid and just copy paste code from the internet without knowing what it actually does. Always keep learning but don't try to reinvent the wheel. You don't have to. Just know what you are using and how it works.

There are a lot of good tutorials out there. And learning is key. I know a lot of people out there think using metasploit means being a skid. I don't. It's a good tool with an excellent database of exploits. Why make life hard ? But you should know exactly what you are doing . What's noisy and what is not. Armitage is for the lazy and thus somehow "dangerous". Why ? Well it let's you pick for instance "hail mary attacks"....yup, just shove all exploits after another against that network and win the ultimate prize for stealthiness. By the way, my vm version of Kali is called "Shyva"....it can destroy worlds....or at least networks:-)

So let's pick up the fact that armitage is dangerous. Why ? Just don't use the "hail mary bomb"...right ? No, not that easy. While based on metasploit I think it's gives a false expression of "oh..hacking is so easy"...just scan and click an exploit. In almost all cases I know (theoretically of course:-)) it gives you for instance the choice to choose "realserver -> describe". That doesn't sound too bad. Well, it causes an buffer overflow which could randomly crash stuff. Again.....no prize for stealthiness. And I won't get into the general discussion of the ethic of NOT breaking things by default. I think you shouldn't !.

So....long story not really short. What is this all about? On one side revealing a little of myself...in an age where a lot of hackers fear to be known as hackers....where privacy is a myth.....and we all keep being kind of superficial in what we show people of ourselves...at least online...and this is not meant to be an accusation. It's fully understandable.

This piece of art, if you wish to call it this way..I do:-)....is of course meant for newbies. I know....nothin' new or exciting. The question for the "elderly" ( a little lulz) is the point "lazyness". I have to admit that despite the fact that I want to learn everything by myself and read books like there's nothing' else to do on this planet, that I'm kind of lazy. When ever I find a shorter and maybe smarter way to achieve things, I do it. Kind of a mind battle between the aspiring "hacker" and the "skid". So, does being smart also mean being lazy ? Or is it just me? :-) How do you teach yourself things? What do you think about the things I wrote ?

Wouldn't hurt to keep it constructive.

For the newbies: yes, learn to understand code and yes, use linux !

Why ? It's hands-on and your first approach to use a terminal. And it's not some pasted up shit from Redmond. Debian rules, so it doesn't have to be Kali:-) And yes, Kali is based on debian too! Just to mention before someone flames me:-)......did I mention that I hate smileys? I do. But they give tone.

I thought a lot about the fact if I should submit this or not. Is there enough value to contribute ? Maybe, if you read a little between the lines. Hmmm...thinking about it, this seems more approbiate for 2600:-)Too late. And at last and the reason why I'm probably here : Free Jeremy !!!

And if anyone wonders: yes, I took the PS3 apart. And yes, it was a little disappointing:-)
Last edited by 72 65 74 72 6f on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
72 65 74 72 6f
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?

Post by boriz666 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 am
([msg=93868]see Re: a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?[/msg])

You have to learn the fundamentals,
everyone can fire up xx tool and hack stuf with it, but where the tools end
the lazy "hacker" does also.

At minimum you should be able to program in any language, aka. get the basic
programming principles down to a level where you fully understand all the
paradigms. After that it doesn't really matter what language something is in
as long as you have the reference manual.

Before you nail the above, choose a language to work with to write your
own tools, could be any of the popular languages at the time, its not that
important which language it is, the important thing is that you stay with it
for more than an afternoon and actually do stuff in it.

I can't stress how important it is to get the basics down,its basic but it still
takes time, nothing that can be done in an afternoon.

People who only use other peoples tools exclusively are scriptkiddies at best.
Its like saying you are a hacker, by being good at navigating the menus
of xx program.

To answer your question: You are damn lazy, which is obvious from your lack
of formatting, in your wall of text :D I'd say most wouldn't read it cause of that
alone.

[edit]
Excellent formatting!! good work
[/edit]

If you wanna do this stuff for real, get going, step down from the tools, research
how stuff works, make your own tools first, then if you need it use other peoples
tools atleast take the time to figure out how they work, by making your own version
in your programming language of choice.
boriz666
Experienced User
Experienced User

Re: a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?

Post by pretentious on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:35 am
([msg=93900]see Re: a skid, a hacker or just damm lazy ?[/msg])

72 65 74 72 6f wrote:The question for the "elderly" ( a little lulz) is the point "lazyness". I have to admit that despite the fact that I want to learn everything by myself and read books like there's nothing' else to do on this planet, that I'm kind of lazy. When ever I find a shorter and maybe smarter way to achieve things, I do it. Kind of a mind battle between the aspiring "hacker" and the "skid". So, does being smart also mean being lazy ? Or is it just me? :-) How do you teach yourself things? What do you think about the things I wrote ?

This is an interesting question for me because I've been a humble member of the 'self development' community for half a decade and it's kinda nuanced. There is this concept of 10,000 hours to mastery which is detailed in "talent is overrated" by Geoff Colvin. The rough cliff notes are every example of a prodigy, genius, master in any field, has dedicated a sizable chunk of their mortal life span to living and breathing a subject. If you want to become good at something, You need to put in the hours to learn it. On the other hand their are people like Tim Ferriss, in "the 4 hour work week" shares an anecdote where he's in a sales position, putting in his time and learning the companies procedure "I ask him in the mosttactful way possible why we are doing it like retards. He says, "Be-cause I say so."
Some people can also put in 10,000 hours or 20 years into a field and still suck crap at it because they weren't doing it intelligently, Or what is known as deliberate practice.

I talk a lot of shit, online and in real life, But I've also logged 11 days, 20 hours and 14 minutes on audible as of this post. Ignoring the 20+ physical books that I own, and none of this fault in our stars stuff either. I know how my brain works and how to best leverage it and wedge new information into my long term memory and how to perform at a high level with the minimal theoretical effort. I've also easily put in my 10,000 hours in my field of I.T and I on most nights my low level tinnitus reminds me of the last 5 years I've spend in Melbourne night clubs because I wanted to improve my social skills.
So yeah, In my opinion, there are pitfalls that can be short cutted or eliminated by finding the most effective and efficient way to absorb information and get results, and you can and should exploit these, but at the end of the day, you gotta pay your dues. No one is above the process.

I recommend reading mastery by George Leonard and the one of the same title by Robert Greene. The first one is like 110 pages, short and sweet. The second one and In the middle of and it's a brick lol.. paying my dues
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Return to General