Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)

Post by kenizl_86 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 pm
([msg=89619]see Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)[/msg])

I was wondering if it was possible to pick up and receive mobile broadmand signals in a similar way one receives a Wifi signal or even radio? As far as I know, it's all based aroung radio waves traveling through the air, broadcasted by a cell tower in much the same way a radio tower does.

My question then is is it possible to pick up on any cell tower's waves and use it as internet or phone? Or to extend the usage through some trickery much like phone phreaks did? I know that usually it requires the phone to send and recieve some preliminary data to "register" the phone with the tower. And if this is so, is there a way to use something much like wireshark to get the required data to "login" to the tower, and hence use it as internet, or is something completely different required?

As a side note, it brings to mind the fact that seemingly phone's transmitters are pretty dang powerful to communicate with cell towers hundresds of feet away, all with very little power consumption.

Any thoughts, comments, answers or references would be very helpful! Thanks!
kenizl_86
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)

Post by cyberdrain on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:05 pm
([msg=89710]see Re: Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)[/msg])

I know very little about cell phones, but what I do know is that the system requires a key stored on a SIM card to register the phone and encrypt/decrypt the communications between the tower and the phone. As far as I know, all traffic is encrypted by this method, hence it would be pretty hard to receive and decrypt the traffic without the appropriate keys.

In regards to your side note: GPS is even better ;)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Re: Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)

Post by CapnDelete on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:39 pm
([msg=89720]see Re: Picking up IMSI (or any type of broadband)[/msg])

It's a much more secure system than the old systems. Here's a simplified document on the basics:

http://wikieducator.org/images/7/7f/Cel ... nology.pdf

The messages themselves are encrypted. You can, of course, monitor the signals and capture them. You can do that with any wireless signal. However, being able to interpret the information is a much more difficult task.
CapnDelete
New User
New User

Return to Telecommunications