How to get CISCO IOS installed in a VM?

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

How to get CISCO IOS installed in a VM?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:28 pm
([msg=93939]see How to get CISCO IOS installed in a VM?[/msg])

I bought real hardware equipment and now I'm hoping to get a VM of CISCO IOS.

However, I have the hardware already. I have a CISCO 2960 series switch and I want to use the real hardware. But the problem is I don't have a server rack. I also have a windows server, but if I get CISCO IOS, I want something in the mean time until I can get my switch set up with a rack... unless I don't need one.

What are the problems with using a CISCO switch without a rack?

Also, is it possible to do everything I need with CISCO IOS? Also, is it possible to get CISCO IOS for free for the sake of a virtual machine for free?

If possible, I want to make CISCO IOS into a VM so that I can do my exercises for free and not have to pay loads more money.

Please help me with this.

Also, I want to obey the law. If you can think of a free way that obeys the law (although I don't think there is one), then great. Otherwise, what's the least expensive alternative to getting packet tracer exercises to do everything in the Official CISCO ICND1 Guide.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to get CISCO IOS installed in a VM?

Post by Tweakz20 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 pm
([msg=94699]see Re: How to get CISCO IOS installed in a VM?[/msg])

Although this is old, here are some options.
1) Cisco equipment does not need to be on a rack to function. Just plug it in and connect your cables.
2) If you have access, download Packet Tracer. It's a program put out by Cisco to help students learn their system with a simulation.
3) Use GNS3. GNS3 uses real IOS files and functions exactly as the real device. With this you can create large networks and drop wireshark on any line to examine the traffic. I got CCNP primarily using GNS3. The program is free but the IOS images are not handed out freely. Generally you can google the ios name exactly and find a number of sites to download from and it has never been a problem.
Tweakz20
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Networking