Forensic Mission 1

Learn to recover deleted files, analyze evidence, and see beyond the immediately obvious.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]
Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Forensic Mission 1

Post by aeroxtk on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 am
([msg=82846]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:One of the best forensic tools is TestDisk. I used it to complete this mission, (I also used Scalpel to complete it, but the results were less stable than TestDisk) I would advise you to try it, as it's a very great recover tool. If it doesn't work for you, try installing it again, check the sums to make sure there isn't any interference with what's going on.

Yes, this worked out well. Thanks :)
Isolation, in my world means opportunity. Reflection of that nature undoubtedly brings round to the fact that comprehension is a requisite of success and thence exculpates the notion associated with the above alluded quips.
aeroxtk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by asdf78dg on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm
([msg=82894]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

I tried using several different tools to find the files in the disk image. I was able to find everything I need(I think?) including a password protected tar and a file that has a password in it. I tried submitting the password as the answer but that didn't work. I tried opening the tar file with the password but that didn't work either. Am i missing something here?
asdf78dg
New User
New User

Post by synstealth on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:53 am
([msg=83569]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

I have discovered a list of files in the *.dd file using a program that was awesome! but I am not quite understanding how to use scapel properly to diagnose those two compressed files that I find interesting since they require password to open it.

I managed to recover all of the other text,document,image files and they were readable and viewable even the pdf's very interesting info to read on there ha!

but im trying to open the compressed files - am i supposed to use scapel to open it, I know bruteforcing or cracking the password is not ideal approach, so I wonder if is there alternative way for me to do that?

please edit this post if you feel this is too much of a spoiler - I am not sure if it is, pardon me! but please let me know something or point me in right direction.

thanks!!!
synstealth
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:38 am
([msg=83664]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

Remember the mission is specifically about recovery. If you start to get sidetracked with cracking the compressed files (though you can if you want it's just technically beyond the scope of this mission) you may want to consider that you missed something... *hint*
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by thaGH05T on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm
([msg=84693]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

I really enjoyed this. It was pretty easy though. I cant wait to get a hold of more of these missions. How many ppl have actually completed this?
thaGH05T
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 pm
([msg=84694]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

thaGH05T wrote:I really enjoyed this. It was pretty easy though. I cant wait to get a hold of more of these missions. How many ppl have actually completed this?

I think the intention was for it to be easy, seeing as it is the first one. More missions are coming, if limdis has the time required. For an estimate of how many people completed it, just look through this thread, click on usernames and see if they have the forensic 1 on their profile.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by xaajjaax on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:19 pm
([msg=85042]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

Yes! I did it with some of the hints found here. You all do very well not spoiling the fun! All I needed was to know not to give up on what I was doing. Testdisk served me well, even though I used scalpel as well.

For those who have found the archive, but need to unlock it: close your eyes, and let the world speak to you. ;)
xaajjaax
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 am
([msg=85076]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

xaajjaax wrote:close your eyes, and let the world speak to you

Wow, that really is a brilliant hint, I salute you sir/madam :D It says nothing and yet it says everything...
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by haha01haha01 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 pm
([msg=85825]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

*Might be slightly off-topic*

So I finished this a while ago and looking through my old HTS archives I remembered that there is one thing with this mission that still interests me.

Obviously the supposed "nudes" were put there on purpose (and are hinted heavily in the mission description), but the image does not match common reverse image searches and has no metadata at all, meaning it was probably taken uniquely for this mission. It seems like there would be an interesting story behind this image. Is this some random girl-for-pay? someone's girlfriend? hackthissite developers walking in the street and asking girls to take pictures of their belly button?

Perhaps the creator(s) of the mission can comment and tell us more.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by saskohackernoob on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 am
([msg=87644]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

Loved the mission, it was quite easy. I used OSFMount and Recuva ;) Hoping for more Forensic missions in future
saskohackernoob
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Forensic