How to practice social engineering?

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

How to practice social engineering?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 am
([msg=87967]see How to practice social engineering?[/msg])

I'm reading Kevin Mitnick's book The Art of Deception and I'm going to read his other social engineering books as well. It got me thinking, how to practice social engineering?

:D
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to practice social engineering?

Post by Turn on Thu May 07, 2015 5:44 am
([msg=87970]see Re: How to practice social engineering?[/msg])

I guess one idea is to set up fake accounts under some company, then from scratch pretend to not know any of the information associated with that account. Then attempt to SE the organization the fake account is under to obtain access to said account. This is a line between something that is hypothetical but also still possible. It might rely on a bit of luck and targeted attacks to the account holder (which you can't actually do in this experiment), but you get the idea.
Social Engineering:
<cen> .lua print ('Tsyn 9.47.-u 3 12 5')
* slickery has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
* cen has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
Turn
Poster
Poster

Post by defcore on Sun May 22, 2016 9:27 am
([msg=92345]see Re: How to practice social engineering?[/msg])

Get out and converse with people! Try to lead conversations in a direction of your choosing and have fun! At the end of the day, the true essence of social engineering is charisma, confidence, and superior social skills.
defcore
New User
New User

Post by phpholly on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 am
([msg=92640]see Re: How to practice social engineering?[/msg])

Two good resources that I liked reading about social engineering involve a lot of Kevin Mitnicks techniques. Cool stuff in my opinion. It's not as difficult as you would think. It just takes a confident personality and some wit.

http://www.cyberdefensehub.com/computer-hacking-tricks/
http://www.social-engineer.org/
phpholly
New User
New User

Return to Social Engineering